*this post contains affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase I will earn a small amount of money.
Happy February 24th! Aka my second child’s birthday! She was actually born on her due date which is really uncommon. I remember working on a quilt that morning, super pregnant and my sister-in-law called to wish me a “happy due date!!” I might have told her to “Shut up! This baby is never coming.” Boy was I wrong! By 8:30 that night she had a second neice! Anyway – not only is it Capri’s birthday but it’s also time to share with you Block 2 of the Barn Star Sampler for the Quilt Along being run by the Fat Quarter Shop.
I posted earlier about my fabric selections for the Barn Star Sampler HERE if you’re interested. And if you want another reminder – you can see my first blocks HERE. I’m sure you’ll notice as you see my blocks that I like to do things a little differently than most.
The second block of the Barn Star Sampler didn’t feel as complex as the first one for me.
Here is the first block I ended up creating. This block features fabrics from
- Celestial Fabric by Zen Chic for Moda Fabrics
- Birthday Fat Quarter Bundle by Sarah Watts for Ruby Star Society
- Unruly Nature Fat Quarter Bundle by Jen Hewett for Ruby Star Society
- Pietra Fat Quarter Bundle by Giucy Giuce for Andover Fabrics.
I am seriously loving mixing these four lines of fabrics together! It’s really creating some unique looks!
For the second block I decided that I wanted to swap the values and use darker colors for the background and lighter colors for the star.
It was fun to mix it up a bit. I am absolutley LOVING how this one turned out! The dark blue background really makes the star pop!
And here is a picture of my first two blocks side by side! They won’t be next to each other in the final quilt layout but it’s fun to see just how different they can be!
Because I can – here is a picture of all four of my blocks so far! These guys are big – 24″ square!
Keep up with the quilt along by following @fatquartershop and @persimondreams on Instagram to see and share work from your fellow quilters. Don’t forget to use #BarnStarSamplerQAL to share your progress on social media, so we don’t miss seeing your quilts!
Other quilters are sewing along too! Be sure to check out their versions of the blocks – it’s always fun to see the path everyone decides to take!
Meet the Quilters
- Anne Boundy, Said With Love, (@said_with_love)
- Melanie Call, A Bit of Scrap Stuff, (@abitofscrapstuff)
- Rebecca Bird, One Wee Bird, (@oneweebird)
- Reece Ortolani, Hurricane Quilty Stitches, (@hurricanereecequiltystitches)
- Melissa Corry, Happy Quilting, (@happyquiltingmc)
- Pat Sloan, (@quilterpatsloan)
- Gina Tell, Thread Graffiti, (@gina_tell_threadgraffiti)
I’ll be sharing what my Block 3’s look like on March 31st! Stop back!