I can’t believe I did it! I finished a quilt for the Project QUILTING ‘Can You Measure Up?’ Challenge (and my May Lovely Year of Finishes Goal). Whew! It was a CRAZY busy month and I had even less time in my sewing room than I thought I would – super glad I combined tasks. This quilt actually helped me cover three obligations – you can also find out how to make your very own ‘Dresden Neighborhood’ by checking out my tutorial here!
I have made a few dresden plates in the past but never with a ruler before. I highly recommend the ruler and I’m glad I finally pulled mine out of the package!
First, I put together the Dresden Neighborhood block. It’s a 24” square block finished – definitely big enough for a mini quilt. I considered putting borders on it…but then decided there is plenty going on already and it would be cute on it’s own.
I loaded it onto my quilting frame and used my Janome 1600P to free motion quilt this piece. The main reason I purchased my frame was so I could do projects like this – not the big ones. Now I just have remember that! AND it loaded on really fast!
I’ve found that my 1600P likes to free motion quilt with Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin and Aurifil thread in the tope. This beautiful variegated green thread is from Tula Pink’s Aurifil box! I was able to add it to my collection when I saw that the Fat Quarter Shop was having a 24 hour flash sale on Aurifil a few weekends ago! (by the way – best box other…super jam packed with variegated threads – my favorite’s!)
The hardest thing about using my frame to quilt is I have a pretty small ‘throat’ for moving…so I have to roll it fairly frequently. This quilt, just 24”, took 5 different ‘rolls’ so I could get the patterns I desired. BUT – it did work out fabulously – so no real complaints here.
I did tight quilting all over this piece. I did quilt on all the houses as well and looking back I would do it differently next time. Definitely still tight quilting in the background but instead of quilting the houses, I would just do some rough outlining of them so they poof out from the quilt but keep the whimsical feel. I was just having so much fun on my frame that I couldn’t help myself!
Once the quilt was ready for the binding I decided to add a thin lip of orange fabric and bind in grey. Just a little pop of orange really made a difference.
I backed the quilt with a city print on white. I liked that it brought the ‘neighborhood’ concept to the back as well.
And – voila! Here is the finished quilt!
May Project QUILTING Challenge – CHECK
New block tutorial for ’52 Blocks: Twisted Tradition Quilt Along’ – CHECK
May ‘A Lovely Year of Finishes’ Goal – CHECK
Three tasks complete! I’m ready for June!
Beautiful Kim! Congratulations on a beautiful finish!!!
I love what you did with your dresden template. Gorgeous quilt. I was wondering what kind of quilting frame you have. I am contemplating buying an Inspira frame with the Husqvarna Viking machine. I don't know if it's worth it. I saw a video on youtube with the frame assembly tutorial. I just want something to quilt my own quilts that's economical.
Lorna McMahon says
Really sweet mini! Love the whimsical feel. Great design and use of the dresden concept. And the backing is perfect for this piece. Well done, Kim!
I'd never heard of Dresden Neighborhoods before, and this is a really cute idea! the backing nearly steals the show!
I love it!!! I'm going to try this and I thank you so much for giving me the idea!!
Live a Colorful Life says
I love love LOVE this one!!!
Wow! Cute idea!
France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation says
I saw your houses a few days ago, but when I saw it again on the link party, I could not resist to look at it once more. I really like how you took a classic pattern and made houses with it. And the green fabric is just perfect for a little country town with lots of parks… That's how I see your quilt… May not be your vision of it, though. In any case, I just love it.
Maryjane Lovell says
Beautiful! I love it