Last year I hopped on the instagram bandwagon and joined in on the #impromputalong. All you had to do to join in the fun is purchase the Impromptu Quilt pattern from PS I Quilt. I thought it was a fun pattern and joined in right away. I did however choose to go a bit of a different color/fabric scheme than many of the other participants. Instead of white I used a few different colors of hand-dyed fabric. For my print fabric I used some of the African prints I had been hording and the last of a piece of zebra print I had. I modified the bigger block slightly by making it into a log cabin. This helped me mix in more colors to help blend my fabric selection together a bit more smoothly. I added a scrappy pieced border to make it into a decent lap size quilt. My first border was a solid brownish red hand-dye to stop the crazy in the middle. The pieced border brings just a bit more crazy to the for framing. The binding is done with variegated scraps of the hand-dyes I used. I sent the quilt to Barb Raisbeck for the quilting and she did an amazing circular pattern in the middle with a cross hatch-esque border. Perfect for this piece! Be sure to check out all the #impromptualong quilts that were made by checking out the flickr group. I ran out to a quilt photo shoot – it was a bit windy…I only had to pin the quilt to the top – the wind pushed the quilt down the rest of the way. It was the first decent day we’d had for awhile and I really wanted to share this with you all! The sunlight wasn’t perfect though so I’ll probably give this quilt another try when the weather is better. While I was doing the shoot…the girls decided to do a bit of climbing. You can see Capri above… And here’s Cedi all the way to the top of the fence! Linking up to Finish Up Friday!