In my last post about my challenge quilt for the Riley Blake Modern Quilt Challenge I had run out of the ombre fabric I wanted to use in the border so I had to figure something else out to do with the fabrics I did have. Let’s see where that took me!
I completely believe that everything happens for a reason. The fact that I didn’t have enough ‘ombre’ fabrics left for the border meant that I was supposed to come up with something completely different! Before I got to the ‘main event’ though I wanted to ‘stop’ the middle design by putting a thin dark Kona border.
I had already made some square blocks with the ombre fabrics so I started by building more borders around them. Once they were the size I wanted – I chopped them in half.
The size didn’t matter too much but I liked having them all a bit different. I added the dark Kona fabric to the outer edge to make all of the blocks the same width. In some places I added some darker strips in the other direction as well.
Here you can see the first side finished – I’m super happy with how this is going!
Side two is finished! You may notice that in a few spots I also just bordered with the darker Kona around various strips of Riley Blake fabric.
Three sides are complete!
And here – I have all four sides of the pieced border done! I don’t often take the time to make a pieced border but I have to admit – it completely changed the look of this quilt and was so worth it! And – I’m really happy that I ran out of that ombre!
I just couldn’t see trying to quilt this one on my own since my sewing area was still such a mess when I finished. So – instead I sent it off to one of my favorite Free Motion Long Arm Quilters – Marcia Wachuta of Marcia’s Crafty Sewing & Quilting. I sent her a sketch of my idea for quilting.
I’ll admit – I’ve already seen pictures of the quilting and it should be making its way back to me sometime today. You should definitely hold your breath – this quilt is going to be amazing! Stay tuned for posts of the final project!!!