Part of the reason I had each of the Block Designers for the ‘My Favorite Block Quilt Along’ created directions for both 12.5” and 6.5” blocks is because I wanted to show you fun ways you can make your 6.5” blocks into 12.5” blocks. So – here I am with the first bonus option to increase a 6.5” block to a 12.5” block. I’m going to show you this first option with one of my 6.5” Wonky Star Blocks I made during Week 8 by Fiber of All Sorts. ***Please note – you could use ANY 6.5″ blocks to start this fun technique with.
I’ve decided to add free form strips to the edges of the Wonky Star Blocks following the method of the Free Form Log Cabin Block, Diane showed us in Week 1. I randomly cut strips in green and yellows and free form stripped around the sides of the Wonky Star Block until it was about a 13-inch square. I then trimmed it down to a 12.5-inch square and had a fun ‘new’ 12.5-inch block for ‘My Favorite Block’ Quilt.
Stop by next Tuesday, March 12th for the next block tutorial – a fun Spool block – from none other than me!
- My Favorite Block Quilt Along
- Block 1, Free Form Log Cabin from Diane Lapacek
- Block 2, Road to Oklahoma from Amy’s Creative Side
- Block 3, Churn Dash from I’m A Ginger Monkey
- Block 4, Reflections from PamelaQuilts
- Block 5, Owl Block from Bea Quilter
- Block 6, Heart Block from For Quilts Sake
- Block 7, Leaf Block from Little Birdie Quilting
- Flickr Group
- Twitter & Instagram hash tag #mfbqa
Share this Quilt Along by Grabbing My Button!
Amanda @ whatthebobbin says
I love the idea of this block.