Hi! I am happy to be sharing with you a block that I designed as part of a 36 block quilt along. It’s fun, easy to make and I hope you enjoy it! I’ll start with a little background on the Celebrate Christmas Quilt Along. On Quilting Gallery’s site every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for 12 weeks straight you will find one new designer with a new block and full instructions on how to make that block. To make it even better, a “Super Deal” is posted along with each block from places like Fat Quarter Shop! (You can find all the information for it here plus a fun contest.) Onto my block…
All Wrapped Up
I used a fat quarter set of Jason Yenter’s Holiday line for In the Beginning Fabrics. Wintergraphix that I purchased from FabricFascination. I just LOVE this fabric and have been itching to try it out on something! This was just perfect! 1 – 12.5” square of Fabric 1 4 – 1.5” x 18” strips of Fabric 2 2 – 1.25” x 18” strips of Fabric 3 Step 1. Sew a strip of Fabric 2 to a strip of Fabric 3. Press towards Fabric 3. Step 2. Sew a second strip of Fabric 2 to the other side of Fabric 3 (sandwiching fabric 3 between 2 strips of fabric 2). Press towards Fabric 3. Step 3. Repeat this with the remaining strips of fabric. Step 4. Take your 12.5” square of Fabric 1. Cut a wonky diagonal somewhere through the approximate middle portion of the fabric. Now, it doesn’t really matter were – just make sure to be at least 2 inches from either corner. Step 5. Sew your strip onto the left diagonal. Press towards Fabric 1. Leave a good portion of your 18” triple strip on the top and bottom of the square. It will help later when you need to square things up. Step 6. Sew your strip onto the right diagonal. Press towards Fabric 1. Step 7. Turn your fabric and cut another randomly wonky diagonal through the fabric. Step 8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 in this direction. Step 9. Square your piece up to a 12.5” square. I also did this ‘wonkily’.The Finished BLOCK! All Wrapped Up! In this picture you can see that I always pressed towards the darker fabric. This is my first ‘block tutorial’ and I realized after the first block that I didn’t take enough step by step pictures along the way. So, I ended up having two blocks by the time I was done! I think with a few more I’ll have a nice table runner or table topper perfect for the holidays! DOWNLOAD a copy of the pattern HERE! MORE about the Celebrate Christmas Quilt Along:
- Featured Designers (quick links to the blocks)
- Super Deals for Quilters (quick links to the savings)
- Blog Posts – Blocks and Super Deals are here!
- Upload your blocks – Flickr Group
- Start: September 13, 2011
- End: December 1, 2011
- Length: 12 weeks
- 36 designers creating 12″ blocks for quilters to make.
- Designer profiles, their blocks and a Super Deal for Quilters will be featured each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Quilters can complete the blocks and upload to our Flickr group to share their creations and for a chance to win hand-painted Buttons from Incomparable Buttons.
- Completed quilts and projects made with the quilt-along blocks will be featured in next January’s Weekly Quilt Contests.