The third off season project quilting challenge – FLORA wrapped up at noon today. I was happy to see six fabulous pieces that were inspired by this challenge. Now, if you didn’t get time to get to this challenge – no worries – just post the piece inspired by the challenge whenever you get a chance. Here’s a look at the six projects:
Quilter: For Quilt’s Sake
“Flowers & Worm”
Made by Pam Geisel of For Quilts Sake in Yellow Springs, Ohio, July 2011, submitted for Project Quilting Off Season (Summer 2011), Challenge 3, Floral 7.25” x 6.25” Full disclosure: While I was making this large quilted postcard for a friend and then realized that it fit the Floral challenge. Three batik flowers, one red, one orange and one purple, with wavy green stems are being ogled by a friendly worm. Fabrics are fused to the background which is fabric on a heavy interfacing. The fabrics were machine appliquéd with a zigzag stitch. The edge of the postcard is a satin stitch, green around the grass part and blue around the sky part.
Quilter: Stephanie Stories
Webster City, Iowa
Quilt top is 24in X 47in. When I first saw the Off Season Flora Challenge on kimscraftyapple I fell in love with the hand dyed fabrics by Chris Daly of Dye Candy. So I bought two packs of Fat 1/8ths. They were so beautiful I didn’t want to cut them. But I kind of had this vision in my head of what I wanted to do. I’ve never tried a Dresden plate before. I had planned on using a light blue background that had what looked like clouds on it. I hated it. It seemed so bland. The amazing gals at my local quilt shop helped me find his green and gold batik that I think looks beautiful. I’m not sure I’m wild about the border. I also feel like one of those contestants on TV who show up with an unfinished project. I didn’t get her quilted. To be honest, I’m not sure how I’m going to quilt her yet.
Quilter: Diane Lapacek
Gramma’s Fluff Garden
I started with an amazing piece of fabric I had dyed, layered it and quilted it. Then I started adding the flowers. I used what I call shreds. I saved those little slivers you have left when you square up your fabric. I took a few at a time and wrapped them around my fingers, then laid them down and stitched them in place with my machine. I threw in some satin ribbons and rickrack for more variety, and added some hand made buttons I got on etsy for flower centers. Flower stems are a mixture of different fibers, some hand dyed, some commercial, that are wound together and stitched down. Leaves were made from snippets…tiny pieces of hand dyed fabrics placed on in layers, then covered with a piece of Solvy. I then stitched them down in the shape of a leaf with veins, removed the solvy and trimmed the excess away. Then I added some random fibers for grass. I took more fibers and wound them together to create the edge. I changed some of the fibers as I went around, again to add variety. 22" x 28"
Created by Diane Lapacek
Quilter: Marcia’s Crafty Sewing & Quilting
Floating Lilies Quilt – Project Quilting Entry
Blue Floating Lilies Quilt created for Project Quilting July 10, 2011 Marcia Wachuta of Marcia’s Crafty Sewing and Quilting
Boscobel, WIsconsin www.craftysewing.com
marciascraftysewing.blogspot.com/ I love blues.. When the challenge came out for Project Quilting, I decided I was going to make my quilt with some of my favorite blue fabrics. I love blues… I have heard that seeing the color blue causes the body to produce chemicals that have calming effects on a person. Maybe that is why I love blues so much. Some of the blue fabrics are from Chris’ Dye Candy Fabrics – dyecandy.blogspot.com/ I took this photo on my Mom’s blue sofa. I made this quilt with the idea that I would use it as a table topper, but my Mom likes it on the back of her sofa. Both Mom and I love blues. The quilt could be used as a pillow topper on the head of a bed. It could be a wall hanging too. I just feel so calm and relaxed about it, that I would just use it anywhere! I finished the binding last night here at my Mom’s house. I took the final pictures this morning. I took pictures of all the steps from start to finish. I will post them this week while I am here with my Mom’s house. I will explain the construction process. You may want to make the delightful Floating Lilies, so I will share it.
Quilter: Sieber Designs
I created my floral Hamsa by machine appliquéing the hamsa to the background, and then placing borders. I then took several days to sew each individual bead to the quilt to make the leaves, vines and flowers. Finally, I layered the quilt and quilted it together with gold cotton thread, added the binding and hand stitched the binding to the reverse of the quilt. The entire quilt is 16.25” x 16”
I am always inspired by Judiaca items (Jewish pieces). I find that I take the most time to create these pieces and that they become my favorites in my collection. I love flowers and color, and believe this is also apparent in this work.
Created in my home studio, Florence, Massachusetts.
I have to be honest. I didn’t put much time into my Project QUILTING challenge piece this time around. I’ve been finally getting a little bit of time to make things again but I’ve really been focusing on increasing my inventory for my upcoming ‘Summer Craftacular’ show in a few weeks and for the apple store this fall. I made six strip quilts in the last few weeks (during the FLORA challenge time frame) and am submitting this one – my Dill Blossom Strip Quilt for my entry. I’ve finally embraced the simplicity of a strip quilt and I love how it highlights the beauty of the fabric. The other thing I’ve come to love is the elegance of straight line quilting. I purposely added a bit of a wave to my quilting just to minimize the stress of having a perfectly straight line. The fabrics I used come from Robert Kaufman’s Dill Blossom Line that I purchased from FabricFascination. Approximate Size: 21" x 29"
Created by Kim Lapacek in Madison, WI