Well, the deadline for the second off season challenge has come and gone so I’m here to show off the two entries. Remember, these off-season challenges are purely to give you inspiration to create – if you don’t have the time to create it during the time frame feel free to do it later. And if you do do it later – don’t be shy – share it with us! I would love to see what you came up with! We had two entries for this challenge:
Quilter: Diane Lapacek
The Story Behind ‘Shoofly’
When I saw this challenge, I immediately knew I needed to do
Shoofly. I’ve been seeing this quilt in my head ever since I posted Shoofly, the very first Project Quilting challenge. I sketched the design full size, then went looking for the perfect hand dye to use for the background. I came across my fabric from the Yard That Keeps on Going from the Quilts by Barb Quilt Retreat and decided I could complete 2 challenges at one time. I used freezer paper templates to piece the background, and 1 piece of hand dyed fabric gave me the effect I was looking for in the subtle shoofly blocks that fade off into the distance. I found a bright, wavy stripe and added another hand dye to make the shoe. It is raw edge appliquéd and the edges are machine finished with a blanket stitch. I machine quilted to outline each piece of the shoofly blocks, then added free motion quilting in a swirling pattern that made me think of wind. Wings we made by pleating one edge of a square of organdy, then hand stitching them in place for a 3D effect. The binding was made by cutting the stripe fabric on the bias. Finished size is 23" x 27 1/2".
Created in Poynette, WI by Diane Lapacek
The Story Behind ‘Blossom Puzzler’
I actually thought of what I was going to make and then figured out which challenge it would work with. In this case I did the ‘Large Scale Print Challenge’. This piece was inspired by my father. He LOVES to make puzzles. He refers to himself as the ‘puzzler’ and there are certain ‘rules’ to putting together a puzzle properly (although I broke one of the main rules in this piece – borders have to be put together FIRST). I also came up with this idea a week before this was due so I followed in the true spirit of Project Quilting. I’m actually just happy that I managed to finish a project at all. The Process:
I took a large scale floral panel from Camelot Cottons and I put some iron on fusible to the back of it. I then sketched out my puzzle pieces and cut them all out. Then, I took a large black permanent marker and edged each puzzle piece.
Next – I ironed on the puzzle pieces to a neutral leafy print fabric. I purposely tilted the ‘puzzle’ in the main portion of the quilt since when you’re working on one on a table it’s never exactly straight. For the stripe portion of the challenge I put a thin stripe to break of the border a bit. I over lapped the ‘not found’ pieces to create an extra dimension. I free motion quilted around each puzzle piece – you can really see it on the back. I didn’t want to take away from the ‘puzzle’ look with too much quilting. **I hope to get better pictures later. I took them this morning and morning light just isn’t as good as afternoon light). Also, I showed the quilt to my dad and he LOVED it – so, I’m happy to say I have the perfect Father’s Day gift already figured out for him – just have to add the hanging sleeve… Approximate dimensions: 29" x 29.5" Created by Kim Lapacek in Poynette, WI
A new challenge will be posted soon – Stay TUNED!
Also, if any participants from Season 2 want to fill out their interviews and return them to me so I can post them I would LOVE it! Here is a look back at the one’s I’ve posted so far:
Fantastic projects! Love them both! I wish I could have participated — I did in my dreams…
Love the puzzle idea